While reading Timothy Hogan’s book Entering the Chain of Union, 2012, I read the following passage on page 63, “For this last stage of the process, the alchemists likewise venerated Tubelcain, or Vulcan, said to be the inventor of metallic operations by fire. It was according to the 1530 CE alchemical writings of Paracelsus, where specifically Vulcan was deemed Master of the Hermetic science of alchemy, and therefore any Hermetic philosopher who mastered alchemy was referred to as a Vulcan.” The keys words of this discussion have been highlighted in bold; they are Tubelcain, Vulcan and Hermetic – as well as several other words! I will break them down and demonstrate the oneness of the ancient mysteries for the readers edification.
Albert Gallatin Mackey wrote in A lexicon of Freemasonry (1860) that Tubal Cain is the Vulcan and has been closely connected with ancient Masonry, “He was the inventor of edge-tools, and introduced many arts into society which tended towards its improvement and civilization. Tubal Cain is the Vulcan… In after times Tubal Cain… figured as workers in metals and inventors of the mysteries… For these reasons Tubal Cain has been consecrated among Masons of the present day as an ancient brother.“
Furthermore, Wikipedia wrote about Hermetism (Hermetic), “In Late Antiquity, Hermetism emerged in parallel with early Christianity, Gnosticism, Neoplatonism, the Chaldaean Oracles, and late Orphic and Pythagorean literature. These doctrines were ‘characterized by a resistance to the dominance of either pure rationality or doctrinal faith.” The books now known as the Corpus Hermeticum… took place from the 3rd to the 7th century A.D. These post-Christian Greek texts dwell upon the oneness and goodness of God, urge purification of the soul, and defend… religious practices such as the veneration of images. Their predominant literary form is the dialogue: Hermes Trismegistus instructs a perplexed disciple upon various teachings of the hidden wisdom. Many lost Greek texts and many surviving vulgate books contained discussions of alchemy clothed in philosophical metaphor.“
Today, Vulcan is defined, “Roman mythology, the god of fire and metalworking; Hephaestus.” And Wikipedia wrote the following about Hephaestus, “Hephaestus… Ancient Greek… is the Greek god of blacksmiths, craftsmen, artisans, sculptors, metals, metallurgy, fire and volcanoes. Hephaestus’ Roman equivalent is Vulcan. In Greek mythology, Hephaestus was the son of Zeus and Hera, the king and queen of the gods.“
Moreover, we find that Hermes (Hermetic or Hermetism) and Hiram (Abiff) are one in the same, as Manley P. Hall wrote in his Esoteric work The Lost Keys of Freemasonry: The Legend of Hiram Abiff, 1924:35-37, “There is a great relation between Chiram and Hermes… The word Chiram has been metamorphosed into Hermes… We also read that Hiram (Chiram), or the universal agent, assisted King Solomon to build the temple; no doubt as Solomon possessed wisdom, he understood what to do with the corporealized universal agent. The Talmud of the Jews says that King Solomon built the temple by the assistance of Schamir. Now this word signifies the sun, as the large machine which is perpetually collecting the Omnipresent, surrounding, electrical fire, or Spiritus Mundi, and sends it constantly to us in the planets, in a visible manner called tight… These ancient paragraphs from an ancient philosopher may assist the Masonic student of today to realize the tremendous and undreamed of store of knowledge that lies behind the allegory, which he often hears but seldom analyzes. Hiram, the universal agent, might be translated Vita, tho power eternally building and unfolding the bodies of man. The use and abuse of energy is the key to the Masonic legend; in fact, it is the key to all things in nature. And Hiram, as the triple energy, one in source but three in aspect, can almost be ,called ether, the unknown hypothetical element, which carries the impulses’ of the gods through the macrocosmic nervous system of the Infinite. Hermes, or Mercury, was the messenger of the gods, and ether carries impulse upon its wings. The solving of the mystery of ether, or, if you prefer to call it such, vibrant space, is the great problem of Masonry. This ether, as a hypothetical medium, brings energy to the three bodies of thought, emotion, and action, and in this way Chiram, the one in essence, becomes three in aspect- mental, emotional, and vital.”
And Wikipedia wrote, “Hermes, as an inventor of fire… Zeus ordered Hephaestus to create Pandora to disgrace humanity by punishing the act of Prometheus giving fire to man.” As mentioned above, Hephaestus (Vulcan or Tubelcain) is the god of fire, while Hermes (Hiram), as just written, was an inventor of fire.
Therefore, we can safely assume that Hermes – Hiram (inventor of fire – or the universal agent) and Tubelcain – Vulcan (god of fire) are the same. Which brings us to the idea that the creator of the successful Star Trek series, Gene Roddenberry, had an in-depth understanding of the ancient mysteries when he applied the use of the term Vulcan? So the question has to be asked, was Gene Roddenberry a Mason? We will perhaps never know, but it is safe to say that he was most certainly aware of gnosis and the ancient mysteries on which Masonry is based today!
Furthermore, here are a more few supporting themes to consider:
* Furthermore, written in Timothy Hogan‘s book Entering the Chain of Union, 2012, on page 206, he wrote the following about Vulcan, “There is also a sign called the ‘star sign’ which is made with the right hand by holding the middle and index fingers together and spreading apart the other two fingers together, as well as spreading out the thumb. It looks like the Vulcan sign used by Mr. Spock, and is used as a sign for the Hebrew letter Shin by Jewish and Eastern Orthodox Priests…” By the way, the chapter from which this quote came was “The Wisdom of the Sufi,” which are a group of Islamic mystics (i.e. ancient Masons). Therefore, Hogan substantiates the use of the word and sign Vulcan in Christian, Jewish as well as Islamic faiths.
* The Hermes-class scout was a starship class operated by Starfleet for the United Federation of Planets during the 23rd century. The Hermes consisted of a saucer section and nacelle, each similar in exterior design to that of a Constitution-class vessel of the 2260s. Its configuration was significantly different, however, as it employed only a single nacelle. (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock).
* In his autobiography I Am Not Spock, Nimoy wrote that he based the Vulcan salute on the Priestly Blessing performed by Jewish Kohanim with both hands, thumb to thumb in this same position, representing the Hebrew letter Shin (ש), which has three upward strokes similar to the position of the thumb and fingers in the salute. The letter Shin here stands for El Shaddai, meaning “Almighty (God).”
* How Hermes Requisitioned His Groove Back” (2ACV11): Bender’s brain being removed and the crew having to retrieve it is reminiscent of when Spock’s brain was removed and the Enterprise crew had to retrieve it, in the Original Series episode “Spock’s Brain.”
* The Great Pyramid: On the rocky plateau of Giza, 10 miles southwest of the centre of Cairo, stands the Great Pyramid, ‘the most majestic and most mysterious monument ever erected by the hand of man’… Various Arab legends… state that the Pyramid was built by Hermes before the Flood to preserve knowledge of the secret sciences… Thoth (or Djehuti) was the god of wisdom, the directing intelligence of the universe, and was known in later times as Hermes, Mercury, and Enoch. Thoth-Hermes was the inventor of the arts and sciences, the patron of the secret wisdom, and an initiator. The name was adopted by many initiated adepts, who were known as ‘serpents of wisdom’; the caduceus or staff of Hermes is entwined with either one or two serpents. Khnum later became known as Kneph or Chnuphis, who was represented as a huge serpent; he stood for divine creative wisdom, and was the patron of the initiates. These considerations are in keeping with the Arab legends that associate the Pyramid with Hermes.
Notice the pyramid shaped badge, or communicator, worn by both men (this is a Hermetic symbol – Hermes built the Great Pyramid to hold/preserve the ancient secrets/mysteries):
Here is Gene Roddenberry speaking in his own words, judge for yourself and come to your own conclusion about his association with the ancient mysteries – gnosis
So Mote It Be!